Wednesday, September 19, 2007

What exactly is a small house?

I read one definition of a small house recently that suggested any house smaller than 2,000 sq. ft. is a small house.

Boy! Has that definition changed over the years.

Twenty years ago I lived in a house that was less than 1,000 sq. ft., and yet it was big enough for me and two of my nearly-grown children.

Now, that was a small house.

I suppose my definition of a small house must also change but I would still set the bar at 1,500 sq. ft. or less a I just cannot accept the idea that a house with 1,900 sq. ft. is small.

If your area is like mine, it probably has a lot of "McMansions" - homes with 4,000, 5,000, 6,000 sq. ft. and more. I can't figure out for the life of me why any regulation-sized family (two adults, two or three kids) would need 5,000 sq. ft.

Even conventional-sized houses have increased in size to 3,000 to 3,500 sq. ft. because that's what builders want to build and what many families want to buy.

But that's for another time and another post.

The good news - or at least good from my perspective - is that there is a move back to small houses which means small house plans.

I think the reasons for this are twofold: First, I am seeing a lot of urban infill as more and more home buyers want to return to the city. And, let's face it, there are not a lots available in most cities where you could fit one of those 3,500 sq. ft. behemoths.

Second, a small house fits with many people's idea of living "green." A small house leaves a smaller footprint and requires less energy.

Finally, construction costs are growing almost exponentially. Not long ago, you could build your dream home for as little as $75 to $100 100 a sq. ft. Today, at least where I live, you'd be lucky to hold those costs to $150 a sq. ft. Multiply this by 1,500 sq. ft. and you can begin to see why more and more people are electing to build a small house.

Can you build that small house free?

Do you believe you could build that small house free? Well, one guy, E.S. McArthur says he has a system that can help you do just that. In fact, he will guarantee you can own a brand new, high-quality, custom-built dream home in just a few months. He also says that the new house could cost you nothing.

Is this too good to be true? I would think so except for the fact that he guarantees his system. So, if the idea of a free house interests you, Click Here! for more information.

No comments: